Vestibular Rehabilitation near Caulfield North | Glen Eira Physiotherapy
Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy near Caulfield North
Vestibular rehabilitation is an effective way of reducing symptoms of vertigo, dizziness and unsteadiness that result from a dysfunction in the balance system.
The Balance system is composed of the inner ear eye and specific areas of your brain. Information is relayed between these areas to maintain an upright posture and maintain gaze stability whilst moving your head.
When there is a problem in any of these three components it can lead to symptoms of:
- Vertigo related to head movement
- Dizziness related to head movement
Conditions that are treated by Vestibular rehabilitation
- Vestibular neuronitis
- Post acoustic neuroma removal
- Vestibular migraine
- Age related balance dysfunction and falls risk
- Balance dysfunction resulting from MS, Stroke, Parkinsons disease
- Post concussion Syndrome
By undergoing vestibular rehabilitation you can expect to
- Reduce vertigo and head movement related dizziness
- Improve balance
- Improve steadiness when walking
- Reduce the risk of falls
Vestibular Rehabilitation can involve
- Canalith repositioning: manoeuvre that is used to move displaced otoconia (crystals). In BPPV theses particles detach from the utricle a part of the inner ear to the semi circular canals another in the inner ear area where movement of the head causes symptoms of vertigo.
- Habituation Exercises: repeated exposure to specific movements or visual stimuli that provoke dizziness.
- Gaze stability exercise: exercises involving head movement whilst maintaining focus on a visual target
- Balance training: challenging the various components that are involved in maintaining an upright position
Physiolates have been providing comprehensive care to patients in Melbourne’s South East including; Caulfield North for over 20 years.