Osteopenia & Osteoporosis Treatment Carnegie
Osteopenia & Osteoporosis
What Are Osteopenia & Osteoporosis?
Osteopenia and osteoporosis are characterised by a decrease in the strength of the skeleton and an increased risk of bone fracture. Bone strength is reduced because of a decrease in bone density and changes to bone structure. Osteopenia is simply a less advanced state of bone loss than osteoporosis. Osteopenia and osteoporosis are commonly associated with ageing and changes in hormone levels, or may be associated with another health conditions, e.g. inflammatory conditions or gastrointestinal conditions, or a side effect from prolonged use of medications such as steroids.
Osteopenia and osteoporosis are generally diagnosed by measuring bone mineral density using a DXA scan, or when individuals sustain a fracture from a minimal trauma. You GP can refer you for a DXA scan.
More information about these conditions can be found here.
GLEN EIRA PHYSIOTHERAPY
Our Approach to Management of Osteoporosis
Physiotherapy forms an important component of a holistic approach to management of osteoporosis. Some of our physiotherapists are highly experienced in the management of osteoporosis. They will work with your GP and/or specialist to address your individual management needs, which may include:
- Assessing fracture your risk. Try it yourself at the FRAX® website.
- Education about the condition
- Assessment and management of your balance
- Advice about lifestyle, nutrition (including calcium and Vitamin D) and physical activity. To assess your own calcium intake, try the new International Osteoporosis Foundation calcium calculator or download the App.
- Specific, safe exercise prescription to improve strength, posture, spinal flexibility and balance.
- Development of a physical activity program to address bone mineral density. This might include a home program, gym program, or a program developed specifically for our pilates studio.
- If osteoporosis is not your primary reason for consulting our physiotherapists, we can manage assess and manage your other issues in a safe manner for your underlying osteoporosis.
Osteopenia & Osteoporosis Treatment Near Me: Get Directions From Your Location
Physiolates have been providing comprehensive care to patients in Melbourne’s South East. We are a multi-disciplinary clinic with highly experienced staff dedicated to providing high-quality care to our patients.